Which areas can we volunteer in at Grace Orchard School?
There are 3 areas you can be involved in:
- Professional: You can offer your professional expertise and skills.
- Class support: Many of our volunteers offer their help in school programs and outdoor activities.
- Project basis: You can volunteer on a project basis such as school celebrations or special events
I like to work with students with Autism. Can that be arranged?
Grace Orchard School caters to students with Mild Intellectual Disability and Autism. Arrangements can be made, subject to requests from teachers and suitability of volunteers.
What qualities are you looking for in a volunteer?
- Passion – genuine passion to understand and meet the needs of the school (e.g. volunteering in areas that will help enhance our school programmes).
- Commitment – able to set aside time to work on the agreed upon project and complete the project according to agreed timeline.
- Integrity – as a volunteer you may have access to our school’s resources, facilities and beneficiaries. Integrity of keeping such information confidential is expected!
- Reliability – the first rule of volunteering is that if you promise to do something, do it! We appreciate volunteers who turn up on time and give regular updates on progress of project. We need volunteers who can maintain a high level of professionalism in all aspects of their work.
- Good role model – as our volunteers will be working with beneficiaries aged 7 to 18 years old, we would expect our volunteers to be a good role model for them.
Are we allowed to take photographs of students when volunteering?
Due to media consent requirements, the school needs to obtain parental consent before allowing those outside the school, including parents, visitors, or media, to take photographs of students.
Will I be briefed about the school and the students before signing up as a volunteer?
Our school staff will brief you before you start volunteering. The briefing is aimed at helping you to better understand the needs our students as well as our school’s expectations of you as a volunteer.